Saturday, May 7, 2011

Derby Day

So many Derby Day memories. It's such a lovely time of year to get dressed up a bit for a late afternoon party! Oh wait...I forgot...that's how it used to be.

Today I'm wearing my Nantucket red shorts, Ralph Lauren navy and white striped 3/4 sleeve knit shirt...and bare feet...add a bit of golden fur, some sand and sea glass...we're. all set. Today we're lounging in the family room...my Biff has on Levi's with dirt from yardwork, a dirty tee shirt with heavy sweat...my man. Our dogs have that outdoorsy smell of beach, wet dog and dog breath from eating Lord knows what in the woods! And the kids....

I digress. Things are different...and very nice in the comfort of our own home with a family we love and all of our animals...smelly or not!

Our dress up Derby Day parties are memories. Our days at New York City brownstones, Southampton lawns and Westchester patios ......mingling with friends and friends of friends...chattery cocktail conversation while toasting with official Churchill Downs Kentucky Derby, Mint Julep filled glasses seems a lifetime ago.

Today's cup of cider in a plastic cup, corn chips and our kids, comfortable in Connecticut is all I could have wished for! Way back when was fun....glad we had those days ...happy to look back.....so grateful for the love we have and life we live. Now is very, very good. Thankfully.

Wait! I've Got My Derby Hat Too!

Southern Comfort

No comments: